Wednesday, July 3, 2013

How Do You Put a Value On the Economic and Non-Economic Benefits of Home Grocery Delivery?

Everyone has to eat.  Everyone goes to the grocery store, local farmer's markets, or wholesale merchants to buy their food.  What if there was an easier way to buy your groceries through online grocery store?.  What if this concept made your life easier?  What if you had more time to focus on other things in your life such as your family?

I recently read an article about online grocery shopping and how this particular company would deliver your groceries right to your door step.  I was in disbelief and thought home grocery delivery was too good to be true. Then, I started thinking, would others feel the same way as I? 

This topic sparked my curiosity because I am always looking for something that can save me time and money. Being a mother of three teenage children, I am always in the kitchen preparing meals.  All three of my children are swimmers who constantly eat. Because they burn so many calories, I cannot keep up with having enough food in the house. 

With that being said, I thought about discussing the economic and non-economic benefits of grocery delivery for my blog. I have always thought that it would be convenient to have your groceries delivered to your home. I am interested in researching whether or not people would feel the same way about having their groceries on their front door step.

In the next few weeks, I will be focusing on finding sources and performing research to help me come up with the answers to the following questions through articles, market trends, and websites of home delivery grocery companies among other sources.  How do you put a value on the economics and non-economic benefits of this type of service? Are the perceived benefits of grocery delivery validated by real life experience?
 
 

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting research inquiry that's very practical and specific! Your question also seems to bring up the idea of laziness. Is a service like this just another way for Americans to be "lazy" like ordering take out instead of cooking at home? And is such a service only really available to people with a comfortable income?

    I, for one, have never considered using a grocery delivery service because it seems to entail a lack of control. What if the company didn't deliver the "RIGHT" kind of whatever product?! :-) I wonder how much work the consumer has to do in terms of making the list, choosing brands, etc. Of course, I can see this as a good service for the elderly and disabled, who cannot easily get to the store. But for now, I am going to enjoy my weekly shopping trips, including the impulse buys.

    P.S. What article did you read? Try to find it online (if it wasn't there already), and link to it in your blog.

    ReplyDelete